Monday, July 18, 2022

 Vincent in Paris
(Summer 1887)

…the painter of the future is a colourist such as there hasn’t been before. Manet prepared the ground, but you’re well aware that the Impressionists have already used stronger colour than Manet’s.
This painter of the future, I can’t imagine him living in small restaurants, working with several false teeth and going into Zouave brothels like me.
But it seems to me that I’m in the right when I feel it will come in a later generation and that in our case we have to do what our means allow us in that direction, without having doubts and without flinching.


From a letter to his brother Theo.

Trees and underwood
Summer 1887
Oil on canvas
46 x 38 cm
Amsterdam: Van Gogh Museum
https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0078V1962

No comments:

Post a Comment

Julian Schnabel  (b. 1951) Julian Schnabel is an American painter and filmmaker. In the 1980s, he received international attention for his &...