Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Vincent in Arles
(1888)

After much pleading from Van Gogh, Gauguin arrived in Arles on 23 October and, in November, the two painted together. Gauguin depicted Van Gogh in his The Painter of Sunflowers; Van Gogh painted pictures from memory, following Gauguin's suggestion. Among these "imaginative" paintings is Memory of the Garden at Etten. Their first joint outdoor venture was at the Alyscamps, when they produced the pendants Les Alyscamps. The single painting Gauguin completed during his visit was his portrait of Van Gogh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh
 

Paul Gauguin to Vincent van Gogh. Pont-Aven, between about Saturday, 17 and about Monday, 19 March 1888.


My dear Vincent
Thank you for replying; I see that you’re in a good spot to study the sun that enchants you, and you’re working all the better because the subject grips you. Thank you again for your good will towards me; the trade in paintings is so hard in our day and age. Despite that, I’m in a state of constant agony here; money worries are the only ones that have an effect on me, and unfortunately I believe I’m fated always to suffer from them.
Pont-Aven is very dreary at the moment because of the bad weather, continual wind and rain, and I’m waiting for the fine days to get back to work, which I’ve neglected a bit owing to illness.
A cordial handshake.

Paul Gauguin </i>
https://vangoghletters.org/vg/letters/let586/letter.html

A Lane in the Public Garden at Arles


September, 1888
Oil on canvas
73.0 x 92.0 cm. 


Otterlo: Kröller-Müller Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Julian Schnabel  (b. 1951) Julian Schnabel is an American painter and filmmaker. In the 1980s, he received international attention for his &...