Friday, July 15, 2022

Vincent in Paris
(Summer 1887)
 

I saw (Père) Tanguy yesterday and he put a canvas I had just done in his window, I’ve done four since you left, and I have a big one on the go. I’m well aware that these big, long canvases are hard to sell, but in time people will see that there’s open air and good cheer in them. Now the whole lot will make a decoration for a dining room or a house in the country.


From a letter to Theo van Gogh, Date: Paris, between about Saturday, 23 and about Monday, 25 July 1887

Moestuinen op Montmartre 

(Kitchen Gardens on Montmartre)

June - July 1887
Oil on canvas
96 x 120 cm
Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam

https://www.stedelijk.nl/en/collection/2188-vincent-van-gogh-moestuinen-op-montmartre


No comments:

Post a Comment

Salomon van Ruysdael (1602 - 1670)   Salomon van Ruysdael was a Dutch Golden Age landscape painter. He was the uncle of Jacob van Ruisdael. ...