Thursday, July 14, 2022

 Vincent in Paris

My own fortunes dictate above all that I’m making rapid progress in growing up into a little old man, you know, with wrinkles, with a bristly beard, with a number of false teeth &c.
But what does that matter? I have a dirty and difficult occupation, painting, and if I weren’t as I am I wouldn’t paint, but being as I am I often work with pleasure, and I see the possibility glimmering through of making paintings in which there’s some youth and freshness, although my own youth is one of those things I’ve lost. If I didn’t have Theo it wouldn’t be possible for me to do justice to my work, but because I have him as a friend I believe that I’ll make more progress and that things will run their course. It’s my plan to go to the south for a while, as soon as I can, where there’s even more colour and even more sun.


From a letter to his sister, Willemien van Gogh, Paris, late October 1887

Road on the outskirts of Paris with a male figure with a spade
June - July 1887
Oil on canvas
48 x 73 cm
Private collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Julian Schnabel  (b. 1951) Julian Schnabel is an American painter and filmmaker. In the 1980s, he received international attention for his &...